A Part of Lifelong Learning Initiative of IAPEN
Nutrition Nurse Specialist
In order to promote lifelong learning in basic and advanced clinical nutrition and to facilitate the academic pursuits of more number of nurses from the educational institutions, hospitals and health care settings, The Indian Association for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition (IAPEN) announces the Nutrition Nurse Specialist through distance learning.
The British Association for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition (B.A.P.E.N), UK has mentioned the roles and responsibilities of the Nutrition Nurse Specialist.
1. Coordinates Nutrition Support Team with nursing care in general2. Develops safe and practical nursing techniques with respect to nutrition policy through research and audit
3. Is a clinical expert in the assessment of nutritional needs and the delivery of treatment.
. Provides advanced technical skills in relation to naso-gastric feeding, Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomy, Radiologically Inserted Gastrostomy and Peripherally Inserted Central Catheters.
5. Provides specific training in these skills for nurses, patients and carers.
6. Contributes to nutrition education in a broader sense – nursing, medical staff and students
7. Advises, with others, on nutrition support policy, linking with the Hospital Nutrition Steering Committee to help develop a coordinated strategy, including issues regarding risk management and ethical decision making
8. Links with specialist units to foster good nutritional care.
9. Advises on and assists in the procurement of equipment
10. Out-patient nutritional support – liaison with community nurses, patients and carers
11 Maintains records
12 Participates in and often leads audit
13 Direct patient advocacy and care – out-patient HEN, HPN. Here the role may come to be seen as that of care manager for nutritional support patients.
Download Information Booklet and Syllabus