Hospital Nutrition Steering Committee (HNSC)
Adopted from BAPEN (www.bapen.org.uk/ofnsh/page4.html)
Brings together senior managers from many disciplines including nursing, catering, dietetics, pharmacy, medicine & surgery. It may appropriately be chaired by the Head Nurse or a senior figure within the hospital who can provide natural links with Governance and the Board. It may benefit from having sub-committees – for example Research and Development, Screening, Specialist Services, Catering.
- There will be three types of Hospital Nutrition Steering Commiittee's
1. IAPEN Hospital Nutrition Steering Board
Responsibility: Framing Guidelines for hospital settings in India.
2. Chapter Hospital Nutrition Steering Committee
Responsibility: Monitoring the Hospital Nutrition Steering Committee present in all hospitals.
3. Hospital Nutrition Steering Committee (HNSC)
Its remit is across the whole hospital or institution. It:
- Oversees and advises the hospital on all aspects of nutrition, including screening and assessment, catering and food, supplements, enteral and parenteral nutrition – for in-patients and out-patients.
- Scrutinises, develops and co-ordinates hospital nutritional policy in response to external and internal drivers through research and audit.
- Agrees standards for screening, assessment and monitoring; food provision and nutritional support
- Co-ordinates delivery of excellent nutritional support in all units, specialist or general.
- Co-ordinates and monitors appropriate education and training programmes for all staff.
- Liaises with specialist units and if necessary encourages, supports and develops specific needs for nutritional care delivery within them
- Supports at least one multi-professional nutrition support team which includes at least one nutrition nurse specialist
- Oversees the coordinated procurement of supplies relevant to nutrition
- Oversees management of food for staff
- Advises on provision of commercial food outlets on hospital premises
- Is answerable through a governance committee to the hospital board
How I can exactly start Hospital Nutrition Steering Committee at my hospital/clinic?
IAPEN Follows this two step process for promoting nutrition intervention inside hospitals or clinics. The first step is to screen all patients (Outpatients and inpatients) using MUST Tool. (IAPEN will provide help and support). The second step is to perform Nutritional Assessment using SGA (Subjective Global Assessment) or any Nutritional Assessment Tool.
The Chairman of the Hospital Nutrition Steering Committee should monitor the progress and should train, implement and educate all members with MUST toolkit and SGA or any nutritional assessment tool. The chairman should also promote lifelong learning. The Chairman of the Hospital Nutrition Steering Committee will be recognized by IAPEN and can take help from the IAPEN. IAPEN has also developed toolkits which will be available after sending a request email to email@example.com
It is the duty of the Chairman to analyze the data and should form consensus statements.
IAPEN will give free training to all hospitals for starting Hospital Nutrition Steering Committee.
For more information on HNSC, contact the regional officers or mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
. We are planning to implement HNSC in various hospitals and IAPEN organizations. Suitable awards
will be given to the participating organizations and life members.